Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Flying with a Guitar: Gate Check
I try to take my guitar on business trips so I can play in my hotel room (quietly). I've even played for co-workers at times, but mostly it's just me in my room.
Here's my experience with traveling with my guitar:
Most airlines treat musical instruments and baby strollers as a special category of luggage. It's called Gate Check.
Don't check your guitar with the regular checked baggage. I did that once and the case came out looking like an elephant had sat on it. The guitar was OK.

Take your guitar through security like a carry on. If it's a gig bag, try placing a few rolled up T-shirts under the neck for extra support. I usually loosen the strings to reduce tension on the neck. But I've also forgotten to do this and I've never really noticed any difference.

A few times in Mexico the security people opened the case and asked me if this was my guitar. I said yes and they seemed to approve. They did not ask me to play, however.

At the gate you'll need to walk up to the desk and ask to "gate check" your instrument. They'll put a special tag on the handle and give you a receipt stub. You'll keep the instrument with you while you wait to board.

When it's your turn to board and they scan your boarding pass, sometimes they'll also scan your gate check stub. Not always.

You'll walk down the ramp with your instrument. Just before you get on the plane, you'll hand the guitar to a luggage worker. Or you can just place it next to the door. Usually, somebody's baby stroller is already sitting in the same place. 

The luggage handlers will place your guitar in the plane's luggage compartment. So what's the advantage of gate checking your guitar?

I've observed that they seem to place the instrument on top of the checked luggage, which should be safer than checking it and having it land under a giant pile of heavy bags.
Then when the plane lands, the guitar should be there waiting in the little area just outside the plane door for you to pick up and carry up the ramp.
With smaller instruments like a ukulele, you should be able to carry the instrument on the plane and stow it in the overhead compartment or under the seat in front of you.

There is usually not enough room for a full-size dreadnought guitar, but I have seen someone do it. I guess it depends on how full the flight is.

One time a flight attendant asked if I wanted to keep my guitar in the locker where the flight crew keeps their baggage. That felt pretty cool, but it really wasn't very different from gate check.

Again, I would recommend against checking your guitar with the regular luggage. Have you ever seen the Toy Story 2 airport scene?

Hope this helps my fellow players.
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment