Sunday, December 3, 2017



If You Spoke Only Russian

Bragging can be lots of things: Brash, arrogant, annoying, self-centered, rude and more.

Can bragging be funny? When we know the brag isn't intentionally vain or even true, like when a little boy wearing new sneakers tells a runner who's on a five mile run that he can beat him in a race.

Can bragging be endearing? A lot of singers have tried this tactic, like Lou Rawls, claiming that he wasn't bragging on himself, but said, "You're Gonna Miss My Love." And Prince famously said, "I would die for you."

So what if my song's hero started his brag at that level, but added some graphic details?

If you and I
Were being chased by wolves
Or a grizzly bear
That had tasted human blood

I would lay down my life
So you could escape
I would lay down my life
So you could carry on...

OK, so this person isn't really bragging. He's claiming that he would be heroic if one of these unlikely circumstances occurred, claiming virtuous qualities that it seems likely he'll never need to prove.

If you and I were captured
By and alien race
Of murderous lizard men
Out to rule the earth

I would lay down my life
So you could escape
I would lay down my life
So you could carry on...

This one seems even less likely. And yet this guy is trying to take credit for being selfless and sacrificial toward the woman he's trying to impress.

Would you think of me fondly
Remember my face
Tell the children about me?

And would you laugh out loud
Watching the Titanic
It would seem so mild
Compared to what I'd done?

This refers to, of course, Jack giving up his piece of floating debris in the movie Titanic so that Rose can go on living. I wanted my protagonist to brag very blatantly that he wasn't impressed.

Kind of like Charlie Sexton's song "I Am Not Impressed," where he names historical and literary couples, then claims, "I am not impressed/I love you the best." Pretty confident. Maybe not realistic at the age that he wrote the song, but cool anyway.

If I had just left it there, my hero wouldn't have the tenderness needed to complete the effective love boast. So...

If you and I
Were the last man and woman
Left here on earth
And you spoke only Russian

And I spoke only English
Would you try to understand me?

The first part comes from watching the old Twilight Zone series episode called "Two." I really like Elizabeth Montgomery (Bewitched) and Charles Bronson (The Magnificent Seven) in the roles of the last man and woman left on the planet after an all out war.

Then comes the fun. Our family loves the cartoon series, Kim Possible. We've watched every episode at least ten times. "A Possible Family Christmas," is a real gem, for lots of reasons, but if you listen hard you will find that I borrowed part of Snowman Hank's big song to finish off my own.

Put aside our petty problems
And embrace your fellow man?

Would you think of me fondly
Remember my face
Tell the children about me?

And would you laugh out loud
Watching the Titanic
It would seem so mild
Compared to what I'd done?

For the record, my wife thought the song was funny, which was my goal. Humor is more effective than bragging.

No comments:

Post a Comment