Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Strange Perfume:

This is a fictionalized retelling of the way I met my wife.

They met at the time clock
He was starting night shift
They used the same Macintosh

At the time, we both worked for a newspaper in the production department, meaning that we put the newspapers together, both the editorial content and the ads.

She left him fortune cookies
He liked the smell of her strange perfume
They took the same day off

I was on an ad team, creating display ads for real estate agents, plant nurseries, local doctors and dentists, and so on. She worked on a different ad team and also built pages. The day shift and night shift shared computers, all Macs.

They met at the museum
They found brilliant colors everywhere
The sun shone brighter

He searched into her green eyes
They were telling him a story
Everything comes out fine
But with lots of complications...

Which is how it goes when you're falling for someone. Everything seems better, more colorful, more meaningful.

The main chord progression was my attempt to sounds like the Posies' "Dream All Day" but but without learning that song. I find that can be a good starting point for a new song.

But the break, where the song slows down, was really inspired by my brother-in-law and bandmate, Clay Justice. It's not so much that he plays in that style; it's just he had told me how much he liked songs that change tempo, get faster or slower, and so on. So I doubt I would have slowed the song down without his influence. 

Plus, I was trying to sound like the Beatles.

Prayers, diapers laughter
Tears, money, mercy
They built a life together
The end, gratefully ever after...

I am grateful to God for what I have, my wife, kids, job, food, shelter, clothes, enough money to give, for his mercy and grace.

Hope you enjoy. Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment