Sunday, September 11, 2016



Ballad of Nancy and Ned:

It happened during my dental checkup. The dental assistant asked me what I wanted to watch on the TV hanging in the corner. My youngest daughter was with me in the examination room, sitting in a chair trying not to look bored while she waited. There were two doorways in and out of the room, but no doors, I guess so patients don't feel trapped.

We passed through the daytime talkshows and food based reality shows. We finally landed on Scooby Doo, Where Are You?, the original series from 1969-70. It seemed like the most educational option. My daughter rolled her eyes.

Both of my daughters have been big fans of the Nancy Drew books for a long time. I'm not a Nancy purist. Elements of Scooby Doo are woven into my song.

There's a mystery we won't solve tonight
Over dinner, wine and candlelight:
Why you slip out from the movies
While I eat overpriced candy

So I follow you to the edge of town
Past the haunted mansion and halfway down
The abandoned mine, stumbling in the dark
The wax museum, old amusement park...

Watching the Nancy Drew TV show starring Pamela Sue Martin on Netflix, I've noticed that that Nancy's friend Ned is caught between attraction and wonder, cluelessness and admiration. So I guess this is my attempt to articulate Ned's emotions.

You don't seem to scare
Searching for the answers
You just pull back your hair
And brush away the cobwebs...

I noticed years ago when watching the X-Files that searching in the dark by flashlight makes you cool. Finding a secret portal, door, tunnel, etc., makes you look even cooler.

You find the hidden passageway
And hush me when I try to say
The secret code you write in
Gets clearer day by day...

I liked the idea of secrets not being all bad. Sometimes we think we know everything about someone close to us, and then they surprise us with some cool ability. My wife was surprised to find that I enjoy using an electric sewing machine. It is, after all, just another power tool. I was surprised to find that my wife has a good throwing arm, even though she never played baseball or softball growing up.

People say that secrets
Come between us
Oh, but I
Guess your guess is as good as mine
Guess your guess is as good as mine...

Hope you enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment