Friday, September 16, 2016

Brother of Shared Meals:

When I was in college, I had a few close friends. One of them was Mike K. We rode bikes all over, looking for the places you can't see by car.

Exploring these ravines
Down in this hollow
Summer's heat blazing all around

Wading in knee deep
Ice cold pools and streams
Cool green shadows overrule

For me, college was a time to learn and grow. I barely paid attention to sports. I was more into books and exploring a part of town that was all new to me. Mike found a stream off to the side of the road with a deep, clear pool that we could wade into to cool off.

I thought I knew enough to talk over you
So full of myself, now I see what a fool
Reading books out loud,
Riding bikes at night
Clash playing on your stereo
And the city lights below...

Mike's old apartment doesn't exist anymore. It was demolished to make more parking spaces for a plasma clinic. But we spent many nights in his kitchenette discussing books we were reading. I read him the poems I was writing. He said that when I said the word "poetry" it sounded like "poultry," and that maybe I could start a new genre of poetry dedicated to chickens. I was probably deeply offended. We never really argued. But looking back, I was pretty hard-headed.

Brother of shared meals
Rice and beans and cheese
I find a five dollar bill

Walk to the corner store
To get your cigarettes
Two Coca-Colas, I can taste it still

Both of us had part-time jobs. Neither had a lot of money. Meals were simple. Finding money was kind of a big deal, at least for me. I actually remember finding a fiver in the middle of the road and splurging on Cokes, cookies or some other treat.

I thought I knew enough to talk over you
So full of myself, now I see what a fool
Reading books out loud,
Riding bikes at night
Clash playing on your stereo
And the city lights below...

One weekend Mike played every Clash CD back to back on his stereo with Cerwin-Vega speakers. I would not say I was a big Clash fan, but I grew to appreciate their songs especially from the London Calling album.

Lost in the supermarket...

That was years ago

Now we're graying at the temples
Our days are made of kids and jobs and wives

No going back, 

But sometimes a song, a scent
Can bring a long forgotten memory to life...

I remember doing bike maintenance up in Mike's apartment. One time his bike's chain broke and he couldn't get it back together. It was a hot summer night. There was no A/C and hardly any breeze. 

Mike, Omar, Sam and I took turns, sweat pouring down our faces, applying all of our concentration. Finally, using the little chain breaker tool, one of us was able to get the pin and plates back together. The relief. It was like we had cracked a safe with thousands of dollars waiting inside. Good times of camaraderie.

I thought I knew enough to talk over you
So full of myself, now I see what a fool
Reading books out loud,
Riding bikes at night
Clash playing on your stereo
And the city lights below...

No comments:

Post a Comment