Tuesday, September 13, 2016



Grace Kelly Crashed My Party:

My wife and I have probably watched Rear Window five times since we've been married.

Everyone has their favorite architectural element of the film, like the little sliver of busy street life you see between the buildings or the greenhouse-like studio apartment of the pianist-songwriter. 

I like the railings and ledges that Lisa Fremont scales so gracefully in a dress and heels when sneaking into the locked apartment.

This song is inspired by that scene, which reveals that she has a much more adventurous spirit than Jeff supposed.

Grace Kelly died September 14, 1982, but that couldn't stop her from being the life of my party.

Grace Kelly crashed my party last night
But I didn't mind
She brought chips and salsa and we played charades
I never laughed, I never laughed so hard

A real live princess in my living room
She got my KISS records out
Plastered my fridge with Polaroid pictures
Ooh, baby!

I don't own any KISS records, but I liked that line from Cheap Trick's song Surrender, "Mom and Dad...got my KISS records out."

In Rear Window, there's the moment when Lisa, who had been dismissive of Jeff's theories, starts to believe.

Grace Kelly crashed my party last night
But I didn't mind
She asked to borrow my binoculars
We spied on the neighbors doing the cha-cha

She played twister like a straight up ghost
Euchre like a little old man
She let my daughters borrow her tiara
Ooh, baby!

For the bridge, I wanted her to share something that blessed the people at the party.

She said, 
"Everybody wants to stay young forever
But after the boys of summer have gone
What we crave is kindness, mercy and compassion...

Let me show you a better way
Let me know you a better way
Let me show you, let me show you..."

The verses repeat, then at the end I worked in quotes from "Be My Baby" by Ronnie Specter and the Ronnettes, plus "Hey Ya!" by Outkast.

She said, "Be my, be my little baby!
Be my, be my little baby!
Shake it baby, shake it baby,
Shake it like a Polaroid picture!

My tribute to a beautiful, graceful princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment