Thursday, September 8, 2016

Pinball Saturday Night:

Shaun Cassidy. Know that name? As a 4th grader, I kind of resented his teen heartthrob status and flowing golden brown hair. My name was also Sean, but I was no heartthrob. 

Well, many years later I walked into the living room as my daughters, ages 15 and 10, were watching the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Mysteries show from the 70's, Mr. Cassidy's peak of popularity.

I had avoided the show when I was their age, but as a dad, I looked at it as an opportunity to bond with my kids. To my surprise, I found myself enjoying the show and looking forward to watching other episodes. It's funny, but I especially liked the episodes where Shaun sang his hit songs and played guitar. No kidding..

About that time I was traveling for work, and I had my ukulele with me. The first lines and music came pretty naturally.

I close my eyes as the plane leaves the ground
All the words you said still bouncing round my head

Like a pinball, baby, yeah

Like a pinball, baby, yeah
Like a pinball, baby...
On a Saturday night!

So I kept going. I wanted to somehow capture that 70s feeling in a song. The era before video games, when people would gather round a pinball machine. And a beautiful girl walking into a pizza place could turn heads. I guess that probably still happens.

At the pizza shop, hanging with my friends
You walk in, and that's when the game begins

Like a pinball, baby, yeah
Like a pinball, baby, yeah
Like a pinball, baby...
On a Saturday night!

In the bridge, I tried to connect the themes of plane travel and pinball machine. Looking down on the snowy ground at night, the city lights standing out in the darkness.

Winter's blanket covers the ground below
Your face still glowing in my mind
We met at that machine of wood and glass and chrome
Your perfume touching the divine,
Skin on skin, your hand touching mine!

And then the music gets quiet for the finish:

I wake up as the plane touches down
And all your kisses still spin me round and round

Like a pinball, baby, yeah
Like a pinball, baby, yeah
Like a pinball, baby...
On a Saturday night!

Thanks for reading and listening.

1 comment: