Sunday, September 11, 2016

They Call Me Eddy:

I didn't set out to write a song about Eddy, the informant from the detective movie, Bullitt, but the character had stayed in my memory.

I read the book by Robert L. Pike (Fish). The book is set in New York, and the feeling is different. I don't remember Eddy appearing in the book. If so, he's not described as he appears in the movie.

Mixing it up in San Francisco
Righteous burnstache and amber sunglasses
Office girls walk by on their way to lunch
I stand in the shadows, waiting for the signal...

They call me Eddy, they call me Eddy!

I took the liberty of giving Eddy more of a back story. He's only in the movie for a few minutes, just long enough to pass along some information about an crime syndicate to Frank Bullitt, SFPD.

I think you know what's in the briefcase
I think you know I can't be trusted
Documents that point to a certain someone
You know my boss, he's not a patient man, no!

They call me Eddy, they call me Eddy!

Bosses in crime movies are hardly ever patient, so that detail was a given. It feels good to kind of shout that line when I'm singing.

Here's where Eddy states his manifesto, his desire to break from the bonds of his given role, rebelling against the script writer, and so on.

I'm just a bit player in a major motion picture
I'm not Steve McQueen, but if I play my cards right
I could end up with Jacqueline Bisset
I hear you laughing, stranger things have happened...

They call me Eddy, they call me Eddy!

Now to grow a burnstache and find some amber sunglasses...

No comments:

Post a Comment