Saturday, September 24, 2016

When I Became a Sofa:

The other day I was thinking about how sofas tend to accumulate coins, pretzels, crayons, and so on, under the cushions. So if you happened to be a sofa, you would have a few basic necessities covered. You'd also always know where the remote was.

When I became a sofa I had plenty to eat,
Crackers, crumbs and Cheerios
I had spending money, 
Yeah, I had pocket change
Pens, pencils and Mentos

I'm a big peppermint Mentos fan, although I have never felt good about eating them. They don't seem like legitimate food. Kind of like taffy.

Have you ever felt like a piece of furniture in someone else's life? I mean, you're there, but not necessarily noticed or appreciated.

When you'd lay down for a nap
Watch the TV or read a book
I treasured the time we would spend together
We'd keep each other warm
In the snow and nasty weather...

When I was growing up, my brother and I were often babysat by a friend of the family who had her green velvet sofa covered in clear vinyl. I never thought it was weird. I thought it was cool, and it made a fun sound when you sat down or shifted your weight.

When I became a sofa, I was there at your parties,
I was the one against the wall
I didn't like that guy who was giving you the eye
I tripped him up into the dip

When you'd lay down for a nap
Watch the TV or read a book
I treasured the time we would spend together
We'd keep each other warm
In the snow and nasty weather...

Years later, our family came into possession of that velvet sofa, minus the plastic cover. In college it became a place for friends to crash for the night. I normally ate my dinner sitting on that couch listening to the radio.

I eventually gave it away when I moved into an apartment that was too small to fit all of my hand-me-down furniture. It is probably still making someone's life a little better.

When I became a sofa, I looked the other way
You got a kitten that scratched my legs
Now I'm sitting by the curb, and I'm feeling so disturbed
I'll find another home and it will be OK

When you'd lay down for a nap
Watch the TV or read a book
I treasured the time we would spend together
We'd keep each other warm
In the snow and nasty weather...

Home is where the sofa is. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment